“ I have read that the disputes team is incredible at HSF. What have been your experiences and what makes it stand out? ”

Rebecca B. asked a question in topic Life at the Company
to Ajay M. Senior Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills

05/12/2017
I am currently a children?s social worker wanting to change careers and have really enjoyed working closely with lawyers and in courts. It has heavily contributed to me wanting to change direction and work solely in the legal sector
06/12/2017
Senior Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills

Hi Rebecca, thanks very much for your message. It's always nice to be thought of as incredible!

HSF has always been known as the pre-eminent disputes firm in the UK, and one of the best in the world. We are involved in the most high-profile cases going through the English Courts, as well as the most significant investigations and arbitrations.

Recent examples include: the RBS Rights Issue Litigation, the Lloyds Shareholder Action (which is currently in trial), defending both Goldman Sachs and Societe Generale from claims brought by the investment arm of the LIbyan government, and negotiating the UK's first-ever Deferred Prosecution Agreement. Trainees are a huge part of all of these cases, and they are encouraged to take an active role.

However, one of the best things about HSF is that the strength of the disputes team is also matched across the rest of the firm - corporate, finance, real estate, employment etc. and we often work with them to get the best results for our clients.

06/12/2017
Rebecca B.

Thank you Ajay that?s really helpful. As a senior associate, what factors/qualities would you say have made you successful in your career to date?

12/12/2017
Senior Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills

Looking primarily at the stage of your career that you are about to embark on, I think that the three most impressive traits that I see in trainees are:
1. Being intellectually curious about resolving unfamiliar issues outside your comfort zone;
2. Showing a genuine interest in the bigger picture and how your task fits into it ; and
3. Delivering work which is thoughtful, answers the question, is on time (even if you have to manage expectations regarding timing) and is presented in the way that will most assist the person instructing you.

I actually believe that these are three important things to bear in mind throughout your career - and they are not easy things to master (I am still trying!). But if you can start doing them right as a trainee I'm sure this will set you up for a successful career as a lawyer.

Herbert Smith Freehills

Herbert Smith Freehills is one of the world’s leading professional services businesses, bringing together the best people across our 26 offices, to meet all your legal services needs globally. We can help you realise opportunities while managing risk.

Visit website