Alice W. asked a question
during the live chat Live Chat: Assessment Centre Tips
to Herbert Smith Freehills Recruitment Team

12/02/2019
4 Live chat
12/02/2019
Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills

Hi Alice,

We are looking for strong technical ability, which means an ability to reason logically through a situation and apply a legal lens to a given set of facts. Your attention to detail will be tested and the time limits on the case study also test your ability to work under pressure.

More generally, we are looking for people who can demonstrate that they can work in a team and collaborate with others, as well as being able to get things done and overcome issues that may arise in the course of a project. The competency interview seeks to test those skills based on your past experience.

12/02/2019
Alice W.

Hi Stephen, thank you. I am doing a non-law degree, will assessors take this into consideration and know?

12/02/2019
Senior Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills

Hi Alice, we obviously look at your degree subject on your application before the interviews start so we do know.

The interviews are generally around competency and commercial awareness, so you do not need any legal knowledge per se - just an interest in the legal world and an appreciation for the types of issues which come up in real life (which you can get from reading newspapers like the FT and the Economist, and supplementing this with your own knowledge).

As a non-lawyer myself (I studied Philosophy & Literature), I can honestly assure you that you will be at no disadvantage. Around half of our trainees did not do a law degree.

12/02/2019
Alice W.

Thank you Ajay, I appreciate it.

Herbert Smith Freehills

Herbert Smith Freehills is one of the world’s leading professional services businesses, bringing together the best people across our 26 offices, to meet all your legal services needs globally. We can help you realise opportunities while managing risk.

Visit website